County Down offers a perfect blend of history, culture, scenic attractions and plenty of things to do. From high wild mountain passes to rich green pastures, curving sandy beaches to picturesque harbours and villages, County Down has them all.
Sailor, golfer, walker, angler, rider, photographer or artist, you will find relaxation and pleasure in abundance. Whether you’ve packed the kids’ buckets and spades or a pair of stout hiking boots, Co Down is guaranteed to provide a marvellous holiday.
Wander in the footsteps of St Patrick, explore the grandeur of the Mournes, breathe the salt air of Strangford, or feel the sand between your toes on the beaches of Tyrella and Newcastle.
Whether you just take long walks on the strand and absorb the stunning views of the Mourne Mountains or you schedule a new activity for every day, we think there is something for everyone in this beautiful area:
- Tyrella offers a fantastic safe sandy beach ideal for walkers, artists and for family play.
- The Burren is a terrific base for a golfing tour. There are five good – two, world renowned – courses within a 10 mile radius and a links gem on the Ards peninsula that you reach via the Strangford/Portaferry ferry. From the world famous Royal County Down and the stunning coastal scenery of Ardglass, to the local member clubs and pay-to-play courses, there are two constants – a warm welcome and sporting courses that you will want to tell everyone about.
- For epicureans, there are numerous restaurants, gastro pubs and cafes in the immediate area at Dundrum, Strangford and Killinchy offering great dining based on the excellent local produce.
- Have a day at the races in Downpatrick at the racecourse.
- Visit Ballynoe Stone Circle – a large stone circle dating from the late Neolithic period – County Down’s very own Stonehenge!
- Newcastle offers traditional seaside family fun, plus the bonus of the mountains of Mourne and championship golf (Royal County Down).
- Nearby Tollymore and Castlewellan have outstanding forest parks offering pony-trekking, bouldering, canoeing, abseiling, hill walking and even Ireland’s only mountain boarding facility!
- Game of Thrones® fan? Explore the real Game of Thrones® locations for Winterfell, Stokeworth and The Haunted Forest, plus the soon to open GOT Studio Tours at Banbridge.
- At Strangford you can take the ferry across the lough to Portaferry, to visit the Exploris aquarium and the Ards peninsula.
- Check out the amazing Titanic Centre in Belfast
- For Game of Thrones® fans, the only official Game of Thrones® Studio Tour is at the Linen Mill Studios in Banbridge. Developed in conjunction with Warner Brothers and HBO, the studios were the original filming location for many scenes in the show and display the sets, costumes, props and weapons used to create Westeros and Essos.